Monday, January 24, 2011

MLK Day

In celebration of no work and MLK's big day, Melissa and I went to Frederick Douglass house in SE DC. Back in the day, it apparently used to be a white working class neighborhood but now the neighborhood is a little sketch. When you read about crime in DC it typically comes from this area. I have only been to this neighborhood once since living out here and it was to pick up some craigslist furniture. We spent a total of 10 minutes there and were accompanied by 4 men. Last Monday in the spirit of MLK day, Meliss and I braved it alone.


It was well worth the risk of danger! The house is over 6,000 sq ft. and has a great view of the capitol building and monuments. The men and women slept on different sides of the house and even though the house was huge there was no indoor plumbing--another reminder that I was born in the right century.

I also learned that F.D. was an ambassador to Haiti and an advocate for women's suffrage. He was BFF was some of the greats, Susan B. and Ida B., imagine the convos that occurred in this house. And after his first wife died he married a white women--so progressive for his time!


After our education morning, we headed to the Jazz/Wizards game along with every LDS person within a 100 mile radius of the district. The Jazz unfortunately lost. I love no work days that shorten the week! Right now I am heading home from work--it's 3pm in the afternoon...on a Wednesday. There MIGHT be snow headed our direction. I HEART the government!

2 comments:

sheila said...

Hey I want to do that next time I come to D.C. Sounds like you had a great day, especially because it meant shortening your work week. Can't wait for the "Presidential" holiday so I can see you again! Love you tons!

Darrell said...

I heart the government too, but only because they have given my amazing daughter a good job! What a great MLK day for you and Mel. Lil D and I marched for progressive change in Yakivegas on MLK day. We will send you a couple of the shirts we are designing for the next MLK march.