Every five weeks, I get some sort of break from school. I had plans to travel during the last break but they all fell through at the last minute. I was talking to a friend and telling him how bummed I was about it and next thing I know he is sending me his itinerary and six days later he arrived in London! It was so last minute but I was excited to spend some time off road tripping through the Kingdom. I think renting a car and driving around is becoming my new favorite way to see this country. You get to see so much more and and the English countryside is worth the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road.
Isn't our car so cute? It was so tiny--I guess it was a good thing it was just the two of us and that I have finally learned to pack light:) Kevin insisted on driving-- something about his need to feel like James Bond. Whatever...but I was happy navigating mostly because navigating=telling someone where to go:) Our original plan was to take a ferry across the channel to Belgium and France and then head back to the UK to finish off the trip. At the last minute, we were told we weren't allowed to take the car out of the country so we improvised and changed our game plan to see more of the UK. Our first stop was Windsor Palace. I was secretly wishing this place could have been named for me...I guess there is still one more prince left.
Next, we headed to Salisbury to see this tallest spire in England at the Salisbury Cathedral and then to Bath and Stonehenge. I love Bath and have been a lot since I moved here but it never gets old. I am becoming quite a good tour guide of Bath. I think I should start charging for my services:) PS. If you are a Downton Abbey fan they film kinda of by Salisbury. If you're not a fan, stop reading this and go watch this first 2 seasons--it is amazing!!
The next day we headed into South Wales to see the Tinturn Abbey. First, let me say I love South Wales it is so green and quaint. I loved the Abbey. I was expecting it to be a structure but it is so old the roof is gone and the only thing left is the outside walls. Plus every sign was in Welsh and English--I love that they try to preserve their language.
Next, we headed to the Cotswolds. It is an area of England with little tiny villages that are so picturesque. Next, to Bath I think the Cotswolds are my favorite place outside of London. We spent time in Stow-on-the-Wold.
Then we headed up north to York, an old medieval town that is still preserved a lot of it's medieval history. It is a very old city and at one point the Vikings inhabited it. As luck would have it, there was a Viking festival the same day we were there. Let's just say we saw some interesting people. A couple of German "vikings" stayed at our B&B and told us all about their road trip from Germany just to come for the festival. They were dressed in full viking garb complete with swords and shields. It was great!
Finally we made our way back south and hit up Blenheim Palace and Oxford. The Palace was beautiful and is only a few miles from Oxford. We got a private tour of the city by Oxford's best business student and even saw the door that inspired C.S. Lewis's Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe. Plus Oxford has the best street lights ever! I think they were up for Valentines Day.
It was a great trip and it was really nice to get out of London for a few days. Seriously, road trips in the UK are the best way to see the sights! Who's coming over next?
2 comments:
Tintern Abbey might be one of my most favorite places ever. This sounds like the best road trip. I'm so envious. Love you lots!
Me!me!me! I'm coming next! Love all the pics! It makes me so excited to come! I'm prepping my house for all the organization you're going to help me with in a week! Cannot even wait to see you! Ally made you a valentine! Is it okay that it's march? All the kids are ecited for aunt cheshey to come!
Post a Comment