Sunday, June 3, 2012

Queen's Diamond Jubilee

This weekend is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee which celebrates not only her birthday but also the day she was coronated 60 years ago.  She was 26 years old when she took the throne. She was on holiday in Kenya when she heard the news of her father's death and which also meant she would be taking over the crown.  Ten years ago on the Golden Jubilee, royal family was still not well liked and not much was done to celebrate.  However, this year people went nuts.  It was so fun to see all the Brits feeling patriotic and getting dressed up.  Some of the outfits were more then entertaining. 
Couldn't tell if these were tights or leggings but in this country there kind of interchangeable. 


 There was a boat parade or floatilla up the Thames and the royal family rode on a boat from Battersea up to the Tower Bridge.  It was fun to see so many boats on the Thames.






Of course it rained on and off all day--did I mentioned it's June and I was seriously wishing I hadn't taken my boots back home.  We warmed up with afterward with tea.  Monday and Tuesday are Bank (government) holidays and there will be fireworks and concerts all over the city.  It kind of feels like Fourth of July except  it's cold and rainy and the Union Jack is flying instead of the Stars and Stripes.  
                                       

1 comment:

Darrell said...

I can't wait to see you in those Union Jack hose!