Friday, April 29, 2011

Birthdayness

I am in mourning...my birthdayness has officially ended. Never have I been able to stretch my birthdayness out for a WHOLE month but by some acts of fate and a few really indulgent friends and family--my birthday really did last an entire month-. And I am not complaining.
First, I celebrated my real birthday in London. I was gifted by a morning serenade and strip tease, a dozen tulips (my favorite!) and dinner in the neighborhood of Chelsea. During the day we enjoyed a tour of the Tower of London, lunch in Borough Market (homemade alfajores from South America were a bday miracle!), a visit to the Tate Modern Museum, and a service at St. Paul's Cathedral.


I was welcomed home from London with lots of sweet phone messages, cards, packages, AND my tulips finally bloomed! I love tulips because you have to plant them so far in advance you kind of forget about them and then all of the sudden they pop up.

A few days after that I was surprised at book club with my favorite cupcakes and another birthday serenade. To continue the party that weekend, my roomies threw an amazing birthday dinner for me complete with all of my favorite things.

The weekend after that we celebrated Easter with two easter egg hunts, lots of friend gatherings, and a sighting of the Easter bunny. While obviously not exactly a celebration for my birthday, it's always been fun to share my birthday month with such a great holiday. Plus who doesn't love an excuse to buy a new dress and get decked out in the spring's best. I still kind of wish I was young enough to wear a hat, gloves, and lace socks to church.


We capped the month off with a celebration of my favorite person's 30th Birthday. Melissa's birthday is actually May 1st but since that fell on Sunday this year and our party was not exactly sabbath appropriate, we celebrated a few days early.

Thinking that work had forgotten my birthday, they made up with it by sending my to Monrovia, Liberia for 2 weeks. The cherry on top was that they gave me 3 days notice--I found out on Wednesday night and by Saturday at noon I was on a plane headed across the Atlantic. I can't complain as I am just happy to have one last hurrah in Africa before I quit in June!

The best birthday present I could ever ask for was the arrival of Evelyn Kate! I normally wouldn't be too happy to share my birthdayness with anyone else but how can you resist this face. Not only do we share a birthday month but we also were both born with ear tags! I am usually not so excited to share about my malformation but when something this cute has it, it kind of makes it worth it. Can't wait to bond with her over ear tags and future April birthdayness plans!

4 comments:

Amy Lee Scott said...

so much awesome! i'm so glad i could help celebrate such a SPECIAL MONTH!

sheila said...

Such a great post Chels, celebrating birthdayness and everything inbetween. So cool that you and Melissa share your special days so close together. Be careful on that trip of yours and come home safe! Love you!

Patricia said...

I can't wait till I'm your London housekeeper!

Sydney said...

Love the birthdayness post! We miss you like crazy still, hurry up and come to Yakima so we can be pool rats!