Thursday, October 6, 2011

Getting Lost in a Heatwave

Last weekend London was experiencing a heatwave. I use the word loosely considering it was 86 degrees, however for October in London that is record breaking. I am learning quickly that you have to enjoy the sunshine while you can here as it doesn't last long. Many children here are vitamin D deficient and have to take medication during the winter months to compensate for the lack of sunshine. I guess I have that to look forward too. In order to act like a local, I decided to spend as much time outside as possible. First on the agenda was a jog through Regents Park which is right up the street from my house.

Isn't it gorgeous? Wanting to explore as much of the park as possible, I entered a different place then I exited. Bad move considering I had only been there one other time. I got lost and my jog turned into a 2 hour nature walk through my neighborhood. On the good side, I now know a lot more of my hood.
In the afternoon, I met up with some friends at Hampstead Health. It is a seven hundred acre open are of health and woodland stretching along a ridge in north London. The poet, John Keats lived on the edge of the Hampstead Health and its said that many of his poems were inspired by the landscape there.



There are lots of nature trails, grassy fields and ponds where you can swim or fish. Not ever missing a chance to wear my swimsuit in October, I jumped at the chance to go to the swimming ponds. We all met there separately and again I entered the heath from the wrong side and ended up on a nature walk that covered almost every one of the 700 acres. I finally arrived at the ponds with enough time to enjoy the weather.

People keep saying the weather is rubbish here but I have yet to see it. I hope the "heatwave" lasts a little longer.

3 comments:

Amy Lee Scott said...

jealous! it looks like a dream come true :)

Lauren Kay said...

Oh I LOVE you and miss you and 85 in October in London sounds absolutely divine! Soak it all up!

Darrell said...

Just one more reason to go back to England. What a cool place!