Thursday, July 19, 2012

Driving on the "right" side

As mentioned, the last month has been full of visitors.  I love when visitors come especially when I can talk them into doing things I haven't done before.  When Becca told me she was coming, I convinced her to do a two day road trip to a few places I have been wanting to see.  The only problem was one of us had to drive--on the WRONG side of the road.  It was an adventure to say the least.  Having to change gears with your left hand while remembering to drive on the left side of the road is an a little crazy.  But with Becca's great navigational skills and lots of patience, I finally figured it out. 

First stop was Canterbury.  I've had a literary crush on Geoffrey Chaucer since I was in middle school and had to memorize one of the Canterbury tales.  Canterbury is a cute old village that is fun to explore.




Next, we headed to the While Cliffs of Dover.  They are way more beautiful then I expected and you do a little walk right out to the edge of them.  
Then we hit up Brighton which all my classmates claimed was the best beach in the UK.  It was more of a glorified Atlantic City--not my favorite. 
We found the real Downton Abbey.  PS. I cannot wait for the next season to start.
By mistake we stumbled into this little village called Arundel.  They were having their annual flower festival where they make a carpet made of flowers that represents events from the last year in the UK.  They place the carpet down the aisle of the cathedral and then on the final day they do a mass and every one walks on it.  It was pretty cool.  This year's carpet included a remembrance of the Titanic, the Queen's jubilee and the Olympics.
We ended the trip in Bath.  I seriously can't get enough of Bath.


The last night before Becca caught her flight we found the treasure of all treasures--The Hedgehog Inn.  It is as amazing as it sounds and we were obsessed.  So you come to visit me a road trip and a stay at the Hedgehog Inn will be a must.

5 comments:

Amy Lee Scott said...

downton and hedgehogs. does your life get any more awesome!??

MaryJane said...

There's a Subway in Canterbury? Really? Somehow that just seems wrong. Absolutely amazing architecture, though.

Lauren Kay said...

I'm going to Downton Abbey next month!!! I'm so excited! Also, I need to get more details on our plans so I can see you when we're in London! Can't wait!!!

Darrell said...

get me a reservation for the Hedge Hog please

Darcee said...

Laughing hysterically at the temple convo. Ha! Loving all the pics. Cannot even wait to be another tourist with CJ's travel and tours!
Also, very impressedwith the wedding updo. Can you please give me some tips? I need help and you know it's no lie...